Assisting with ADLs Bathing and Skin CareDescription
This is a self-paced course with optional knowledge check quizzes after each lesson. These non-graded quizzes allow you to check your understanding of the lesson objectives before proceeding to the next lesson. After the final lesson you will be required to take the final exam. You must score 70% or higher to pass the course and obtain a certificate of completion.
- Describe activities of daily living
- Identify practices to prevent skin problems in the aging client
- Identify how to bathe an infant
- Recognize appropriate personal care for the client
- Identify the role of the aide in providing personal care
- Demonstrate the proper technique for giving a client a bed bath.
- Demonstrate the proper technique for giving a client a partial bath
- Demonstrate the proper technique for giving a client a tub or shower bath
- Demonstrate the proper technique for giving a client a perineal care
- Demonstrate proper technique for mouth care
- Demonstrate proper technique for mouth care for the unconscious person
- Demonstrate popper technique for denture care
- Demonstrate proper technique for fingernail and hand care
- Demonstrate proper technique for foot care
- Demonstrate proper technique for a backrub
- Demonstrate appropriate hair care
- Demonstrate bed shampoo
- Demonstrate sink shampoo
- Demonstrate shaving with electric razor
- Demonstrate eyeglass care
- Demonstrate hearing aid care
- Demonstrate dressing a client
- Demonstrate making an occupied bed
- Identify goals of skin care
- Demonstrate lotion application
- Demonstrate backrub
- Describe prevention of pressure ulcer
- State care of a pressure ulcer
- Identify pressure-relieving devices
- List safety measures when using pressure-relieving devices
4.4 Contact Hour: based on 60 minute contact hour
The estimated time for completion for this activity is 4.4 hour(s).
This course is designed to meet the continuing education requirements of personal care workers.
Patricia Jump - RN PHN MA
Technical Nurse Consultant, President Acorn's End Training and Consulting. Patricia Jump received her Bachelor's in Nursing Degree from Winona State University and her Masters of Arts Degree in Health and Human Services Administration from St. Mary's University. She has over 25 years experience in the health care field and almost two decades of public speaking experience. As a professional trainer and consultant, Patricia conducts seminars across the country for all levels of employees in business, professional associations, educational organizations, churches, and government agencies. Additionally, she serves as personal coach, consultant, and retreat facilitator for home care leaders and organizations throughout the nation.
Kathy Richie - BSN RN Program Director Allied Health Continuing Education Rochester Community and Technical College
Kathy Richie received her Bachelors of Science Degree in Nursing from the College of St. Teresa with a minor in Psychology. She has over 13 years experience in the health care field and a decade of experience in the design, development and provision of adult/healthcare professional continuing education. Kathy also serves as director of the Heartland Regional Geriatric Education Center for southeastern Minnesota, which is supported by the Minnesota Area Geriatric Education Center, part of the University of Minnesota's Center on Aging.
Kathy is a member of the Program Services Committee of the Alzheimer's Association, Minnesota - North Dakota Chapter as well as a member of the Leadership Council for the Alzheimer's Association Southern Minnesota Regional Center.
Materials used in connection with this course may be subject to copyright protection. Retention of the materials for longer than the class term, unauthorized further dissemination of the materials, or use of copyrighted materials in any way other than intended for this class is prohibited by Copyright and Teach Act laws.
This course was developed with Rochester Community and Technical College's Continuing Education and Workforce Development Division located in Rochester Minnesota. Development was funded from the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.